Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Lessons in Deception

This is a great little lesson in chaos theory for me today: The random google search in the post prior to this a few minutes ago? It was done, as usual and as promised, after the entire post was written (my self-imposed rules state that I can make grammar/spelling corrections). And again, the random google search is a program that selects 3 words at random (using the stand random number generator build into the perl 5 interpreter) then executes the search and returns simultaneously the three words it picked, and the top three lins for that word combination, in that order using google's perl API.. I DO NOT PICK THE WORDS, AND I DO NOT RE-PICK WORDS. Obviously you have to take my 'word' (no pun intended) for it, but no matter... the intent of this experiment was for my own edification, and I just chose to share. So take it, or leave it.

To add to the creepiness of the coincidence (and that is what it is for the previous post) I was just having a conversation about this at the bar the other night (the fact that true randomness often doesn't look random 'enough' to people because we are instinctively so obsessed with finding patterns).

anyhow... cheers to those who like what I'm doing, and jeers to those who think I'm full of shit.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jojo said...

I really want to know where this photo was taken...it's an amazing gut-check. I love it.

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home