Monday, May 19, 2008

Bean Sprout and the Hobbit Office

Above: Blue-Eyed "Beanster" Photo credit: My sis, Kristin Dahl
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------


The bean, bean sprout, beanster, bebes, boo boo, "B", are now all common nicknames for my daughter, officially named "Bibi". Oddly enough her name phonetically is also her initials (B.B.). I don't know why I think this is cool, but it might have something to do with the fact that it is a type of recursion (term in programming where a function calls itself). Anyhow... after playing on the Southpark playground equipment this weekend with her, I began thinking about my last entry regarding the biped phenom. The funny thing is, that in spite of walking on flat ground being distinctly human, we still have the inate desire to climb. This is very clear watching toddlers and small children play on playground equipment. I suppose that is why monkey bars are so much fun. The fact that we maintain this desire or tendancy seems like more of an artifact than an actual skill and thus explains why in the modern age of liability and safety, we adults have torn down most of the classic "monkey bars" as a result of the fact that in spite of this inate desire, we aren't really that good at it anymore.

On last thing: My daughter is learning sign language and pics up stuff from other places, that she turns into signs. The pictured at right is Bibi signing something, but I can't figure out what it means. Any ideas? Whatever it is, she does it with intensity and seems very exited. It appears to be, perhaps, a combination of "socks" and "bird" and simply pointing. I may never know.


On an entirely different topic, I have now moved to yet another office at my workplace. I have dubbed it the "Hobbit Office" as it resides in some virtually vacant part of the building, and sits betwen a mini kitchen, and a server room, and has no windos (hence the hobbit part). Unfortunately, it also is on a ventilation system that is only partially functional (they are doing construction on the rest of the floors) and the temperature fluctuates between 64-68degC. I guess they tried to make up for that by leaving a poofy green leather recliner in the office. Hmmmm..... bit of a teaser, eh?


Today's Random Google Query: like sooner friend
MySpace.com - Native Sooner - 41 - Male - Tulsa, Oklahoma - www ...
MySpace.com - MIKE (ALL SOONER BABY) - 48 - Male - JENKS, Oklahoma ...
Sooner or later, friend, you've got to fall | MetaFilter

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You have, I would say "the most", but since I have 2 duaghters myself I am biased, precious girl. That green sweater and hat are to die for. I'm sorry you miss her, I couldn't breathe without mine.

You probably don't remember, but the last time I saw you, which was maybe 6 yrs ago, I told you that you would be a great father someday. Which, I can see, is obviously true.

Hope your well,
Sal

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home