Tuesday, December 20, 2005

I am The Zebra Hunter


First, let me just say that I have neglected my daily entries and daily random google search, so for the time being it will be weekly, or bi-weekly.

That being said, I am being faced with one of those nasty mixed basket sort of career oportunities. I'm essentially being given an opportunity that is essentially what I have been wanting for some time, but also facing a responsibility that if somehow was mismanaged, could ruin me and any future in this field (seeing as how I do not actually have the "official" pedigree associated with the position in question). I am not much of a gambler, but I do believe the cliche that wihtout risk nothing is gained to be true. I will pray to my lucky number (13) that this path can be traversed with my sanity, and eyeballs in tact.

In a related tune: I was told once by our CEO after making a prediction that sounded a bit far fetched that "when one hears hoof-beats, think horses not zebras... unless your in africa". Its a dramatized version of occam's razor (the simplest explanation is usualy the most likely) which, has led to comments in meetings along the lines of "fishing for zebras" or "hunting for zebras". Today I have yet again been proven correct on one of my "zebra" explanations for a failed experiment (and although this time it was not as far fetched as some). I have privately self proclaimed myself "The Zebra Hunter" (although not to cooworkers, since that would sound arrogent or be seen as having--deceptively--unproductive connotations). I have philisophically explained the frequency of zebra's being spotted in our lab as having to do with the fact that when you are doing leading edge research or developing a technology that hasn't--as of yet--actually existed... you are, in a sense, in Africa.

Cheers,
-The Master Zebra Hunter

Today's Random Google Query: face presence girl
The Daily Tribune - Hibbing, MN
Dr. Miklos Nyiszli, an eyewitness from Auschwitz
Latest Reviews -- Rate Your Music

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home